Altibox fiber — straight into Mikrotik CCR1009
Ever since I got the fiber installed last year, the plan has been to drop the ISP box and plug it straight into my router. That’s why I had the fiber terminated in my patch panel.
I’ve been reluctant to do it, since messing with the internet needs to be done while the rest of the house is sleeping. And I was unsure what SFP module to use. I did buy the Ubiquiti UF-SM-1G-S pair, planning to use it with my EdgeRouter.
But I ended up using the SFP module that came with the ISP box, and my new MikroTik CCR1009.
The swap was super easy and only took a few minutes 😃
Table of contents
This is the SFP module that came with the Altibox VMG8825-B60C router/home central, it worked perfectly in the CCR 🙂
- Vendor: Tsuhan
- Part no.: THMPRS-3511-10A
- Connector type: SC
- Wavelength: Tx 1310 nm / Rx 1550 nm
I have a 1 meter fiber patch cable between the patch panel and the SFP module — with the following specifications:
- SC to SC (UPC)
- Single mode 9/125
- Outer diameter 2.0mm
- LSZH (low smoke zero halogen)
We need to make a few configuration changes on the CCR:
- Change MAC address on the WAN interface
- Create a VLAN on the WAN interface
- Change the DHCP client interface
- Update firewall and NAT rules
combo1interface is a combined SFP and Ethernet interface. It needs to have combo mode
sfp, and we can no longer use the Ethernet port.
First we need to change the MAC address on our
combo1 interface. This can not be done from WinBox, but is easy in the terminal:
/interface ethernet set combo1 mac-address=xxxxxxxxxxxx
It will probably work without changing the MAC address, but I’ve heard people having problems retaining their static IP. Which might be explained by Altibox thinking the router is offline.
If you need to reset the MAC address, here is the command for that:
/interface ethernet reset-mac-address combo1
Next we need to create VLAN 102 on the
/interface vlan add interface=combo1 name=altibox_wan vlan-id=102
And change the interface on our DHCP client, from
/ip dhcp-client edit number=0 value-name=interface
Last, but not least, we need to update all the firewall and NAT rules. Replacing
altibox_wan, wherever present.
And that’s it, I got my static IP back within a few seconds after changing the DHCP client interface. And it’s been working great since 🙂
So nice to remove the Altibox home central, it doesn’t really have that homelab look and feel 😛