Inter-Tech 4U-4129-N server case
I recently got a new rack mountable case from Inter-Tech — it was surprisingly cheap 😃 This is going to be the new server case for my hypervisor Alpha. Here are my thoughts, and some photos.
Table of contents
- 4U, 650mm deep
- Form factor
- Mini ITX, μATX, ATX, eATX, SSI EEB
- Drive bays (mounting options)
- 3 × 5.25" external
- 11 × 3.5" internal
- 4 × 2.5" internal
- Fan mounting options
- 5 × 120 mm, front and internal
- 2 × 80 mm, back
- Lots of space
- 5×120 mm and 2×80 mm fans included
- Internal fans are hot swappable and can be PWM controlled
- Two 5×3.5" disk bays
- Was able to replace the stock fans with Noctua
- Stock fans are loud (but move a lot of air)
- The 5.25" rail mechanism feels a bit cheap and flimsy
- Had a hard time attaching 2×80 mm Noctua fans. Had to grind off a screw thread on the case and modify one of the Noctua fans
- One of the disk bays had some oil like substance on it
- Break-away expansion slot cover plates
I replaced all stock fans with Noctua.
No modifications required.
120 mm Noctua fans fit perfectly in the hot swap brackets. But they will need a 4-pin header to be able to fasten it, mine had 3-pin but I was able to replace the fan header.
The two 80 mm Noctua fans in the back was a tight fit, I had to grind off a screw thread and make a groove in the right Noctua fan.