It’s time for another ZFS pool expansion. When I last expanded; I doubled the capacity of my 2nd vdev — going from 16 TB to 32 TB raw capacity. This time I’m doubling again — replacing the last limiting drive, and fully utilizing the all the 8 TB drives 😃
I’ve been planning to enable scheduled S.M.A.R.T. scans ever since I built my file server, but it was just one of those things that I never got around to do.
Well — when one of the 8 TB drives suddenly started reporting S.M.A.R.T. errors, the scheduled scans got back on the agenda. So let’s do that now 👇
This post was suppose to be a “look I made an SSD ZFS pool”, but will instead be the first post in a trouble-shooting series. Trying to get my SSDs to behave.
But — I am getting ahead of myself… Let’s start at the beginning.
I’m replacing a disk and and expanding my ZFS 2×RAID-Z2 pool 👇