My nephew, and my twin boys, both have a Ikea play kitchen. It’s a pretty cool toy, with a microwave, oven, sink, cabinets and hot plates. The plates have LEDs so they turn red when turned on, just to make it a bit more real. But the play kitchen is even greater with some lights!
All kitchens have lights under the cabinets, so why shouldn’t this? I used a cheap LED-strip from eBay and fastened it using the adhesive on the back. I soldered a female power jack so that it could easily be connected to an AC adapter. The strip is 12 V, but I thought it just turned out a bit too bright, so I used a 9 V AC adapter instead.
Here are the parts I used:
- 1 × AC adapter, 9 V=, 440 mA, 2.1mm jack, SMPS
- 2 × Cable tie mount, screw, 5.1 mm, White
- 0.6 m LED strip, SMD5630, Neutral white, 12V, 4200k, 30lm/LED
- 1 × Power jack, w/wire, female, 2.1mm x 5.5mm
- 2 m Wire, stranded, 2-cores, PVC, 0.33mm2 (22 AWG), Red/Black
On my boys’ play kitchen I’ve used a strip with a bit warmer color, and they also have lights inside the “microwave”. And a switch to control the lights, but this is a bit annoying at times; as they play with it. So maybe consider if you need a switch, or if it should be out of reach for the kids 😛
Last commit 2022-08-06, with message: add summary and emojies to older posts